If I meet you in the US and you tell me you're German or "half" German, I will speak German and not English. - MAS International News

If I meet you in the US and you tell me you're German or "half" German, I will speak German and not English.

This happened multiple times now, where it came up, that I was German and someone else came out and said they where also German or of German descent. When this happened I instinctively switched to German, because why wouldn't I? Everytime they were really surprised when I started speaking another language.

Yesterday I and a couple of friends went out to a restaurant. We ordered and when we got our food the waiter must have heard part of our conversation. She brought the food and said something like, " Oh you're German? I'm German too. Are you a tourist?". I was a little surprised but answered, " Ah wirklich?' Ja sowas in der Art. Was ist mit Ihnen, von wo kommen Sie?". She then said something like she couldn't speak German and she has never actually been there, but her grandparents were both born there.

I have seen this before, especially on Reddit with discussions on nationality and ethnicity and whether someone is German, Italian etc.

I personally would never say that I'm Serbian and Hungarian just because my grandparents were born there and spent their childhood over there. I have never visited, I have never spoken the language and I'm certainly not a citizen. I don't understand why people have this need to be excotic and be special when it comes to culture and nationality. I think it's lovely when someone is proud of where they're from and they embrace the culture and language, but others cling to their ancestors origin even though they have no cultural connection anymore.

Edit 1: Ok I have to clarify some things. I'm not insulting anyone because of their nationality, ethnicity or their birthplace. When someone tells me all excited that they are German. Well it makes me happy, because I get to talk German with someone. That's my expectation, in this case it was wrong. I had a nice chat with the waiter and we moved on. I was trying to explain why I had that expectation and that's it. If that makes you so mad, that you insult me and use the Nazi Word, I think you're a little too sensitive. Try not to get so mad at silly posts like this, it's not helping anyone. If you think this is an unpopular opinion upvote the post or don't, it's not important. Please write a comment if you disagree also. It means a lot to me if you behave with some dignity. Thank you very much.

Edit 2: Now that this post is on the frontpage I won't be able to respond to many of your comments. Even before it was too much. I'm sorry about that, I really appreciate the rewards though.

submitted by /u/IchumbachiB to r/unpopularopinion
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2Ti3S5j
Previous article
Next article

Leave Comments

Post a Comment

Articles Ads

Articles Ads 1

Articles Ads 2

Advertisement Ads